A Porch of My Own

A Porch of My Own

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My First Porch


When I was 4 years old we lived in a duplex with my maternal grandparents on one side and our family on the other. The only porch was a small rectangle of concrete where the two front doors opened. I had a little red chair and in order to 'porch sit' I had to place my chair right inside the screen door of my grandparents living room. I loved to do this, especially on a rainy day, even though all I could see was two fat pine trees. Papa, my grandfather had planted these - one for me and one for my brother David. (David and I in photo with sister Kathy in background) We had a small front yard and the trees took it all up and blocked the street view. Still, it was the beginning of my love affair with porches!

4 comments:

  1. Well, here is concrete proof that my dad used to dress up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I have that same love affair of a porch with some rockers along with a swing...looking forward to having a porch on our property..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolyn, porches are an important part of small home living, for sure! It gives you room to expand. Sometimes I think we could close in the back screen porch and tuck our bed in there, giving more room in the living area. But we couldn't do without that little screened porch!

      Delete