A Porch of My Own

A Porch of My Own

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bald Eggs and Boiled Eagles

My friend Mitzie told me the other day that she has been watching some bald eagles on the lake where she lives. (Photo - Mitzie's back yard on the lake.) It reminded me of a phrase I have been carrying around for 20 years, hoping one day to use as a book title. That would require me writing a book and I'm not sure that will happen. The book would, of course, be about Southern women.

I mentioned my co-worker Terese in a previous post. She had a beautiful soft Southern way of speaking, the kind of voice you would hear in Charleston. She never hurried her conversation and it was like listening to a song being sung.

One day at lunch she said she had brought some "bald" eggs to eat. Our boss, Joe, walked in at that time and his face said "what are bald eggs; I've never heard of those?" Upon seeing she had boiled eggs, he made the remark that if it was bald eggs, it must be boiled eagles! I filed the phrase away in my mind and it always makes me smile.








1 comment: