A Porch of My Own

A Porch of My Own

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Except for a few things, mostly decorative, the bunkhouse is ready to go! After the holidays and hunting season we will skirt the bunkhouse, build a front deck, and put a crushed granite path to the cabin.


I made this headboard from an old door my Dad gave me years ago. Rickie and I built the frame this weekend and he installed the ceiling fan. My son-in-law's grandfather made the lamp from a beverage bottle from Venezuela, where his grandmother is from.
The plumber had to become a carpenter and add some wood to move the tiny sink away from the wall so he would have room for the p-trap. I tiled it and now there is a tiny counter!
The shelf over the bed has a plug handy for charging electronics. There is one by each bed. This one was made from the last piece of the old door. Well, almost. I have a 6" piece left! My daughter-in-law Lisa made the flannel throws on each bed.
This bed is the top part of the trundle bed we had. We left the bottom of both beds open for storage and so guests can slide their suitcases and shoes out of the way. The little chair was mine as a child. All the photos are some Rickie took on our place.
My friend Miriam's cabinet is the coffee bar. It is also used to store sheets. I am going to get something to hang on the wall in the corner so I can move the mugs, paper towels, etc off the top. Need to make a trip to Ikea or a craft show! Also need to hide that AC cord some way.
We will have a curtain closing in the bath area and a fabric skirt on the sink. I've got a metal conduit piece we are going to bend and hang. It's close to the bed but it's a tiny bunkhouse and the only way to keep guests from having to go to the cabin at night and during bad weather. I'm trying out fabrics on the swing arm rod on the wall shelf. It will hide Advil, toothpaste, etc. The shelf was made from wood from an old bookcase Miriam gave me and some tin we had left over from the hay shed project. The towel rack was made from wood taken from an old house remodel in Doss, Texas. 
Books we already had at the cabin moved over to the bunkhouse. My son John donated the little fridge for guests. The little stool was made from wood from a cherry tree from Rickie's home place in Mississippi. His brother's father-in-law made it years ago. The trash can is a painted bucket bought long ago at a craft show.
I got a tempered glass top for Miriam's cabinet. The boards that make up the top are uneven so I used some state quarters and some older coins I like to even up the glass.

17 comments:

  1. It's perfect !! So inviting !!
    You have a very creative mind !! love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norine. It was fun doing it. Except for the being old and sore and tired. Ha! My arm still hurts from holding the ceiling plywood up but I will get over it. I hope! :)

      Delete
  2. AWESOME!!! At Home Depot in the electrical department you will find long strips of this tubing like stuff that you wrap around electric cords from TVs or ACs. You can cut it to whatever size you need. Then it sticks to the wall and you paint it the same as the wall color and it virtually disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I have used that tubing before but had forgotten all about it! Wish we had planned better on that plug and put it up and beside the AC. Then I could just hang a basket over it!

      Delete
  3. Well, that's just adorable! You have such a way with decor- it looks inviting and cosy and clean and fresh and new and lived-in all at the same time. Your guests will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words. One of my friends is visiting this week so we are already getting use out if it. :)

      Delete
  4. You have done a wonderful job on this little cabin!! Have looked back in your posts but cannot find a size. We too have a bunkie but it is only 8' x 12'. In Ontario you can build under 100 sq feet without a permit. So...what size is yours?

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. It is 10 x 16. In our county and outside the city limits we don't have to have a permit or inspection except for the septic system. We did use licensed contractors for the electrical and plumbing.

      Delete
  5. For those keeping up with costs the project came to right at $11,000. This includes the shell, the materials, the plumber and electrician, and the Advil for the aches and pains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to buy a piece of land and build a tiny house on it. I want to have a place of my own with out bills hanging over my head until the day I die. I am on low income so I guess all I can do is just dream about being debt free and helping homeless animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard, Sue, without having the land to put a tiny house on available to you. That can be a huge expense plus getting a septic and water available. We bought our land back in 1989.
      Don't give up yet! Things change and you never know. Regardless, a life helping homeless animals is a good one!

      Delete